Great new products for 2012 the staff of Sportsman’s News saw at the 2012 shows.
Bear Archery – Siren Bow
Designed for serious female shooters.
- Speed (IBO): 300 fps
- Weight: 3.8 lbs
- Brace height: 6.75”
- Axle to axle: 31”
- Peak draw weight: 40 lbs / 50 lbs / 60 lbs
- Draw length range: 22” to 27”
- Let-off: 75%
- Strings/cables: contra-band
- Cable slide: slide
Bear Archery – Anarchy Bow
- More forgiving, longer axle-to-axle bow, lightweight.
- Bear anarchy specifications
- Speed (IBO): 340 fps
- Weight: 3.8 lbs
- Brace height: 7.25”
- Axle to axle: 35.25”
- Peak draw weight: 50 lbs / 60 lbs / 70 lbs
- Draw length range: 25” to 31.5”
- Let-off: 80%
- Strings/cables: Bear contra-band HP
- Cable slide: 4×4 roller guard
Trophy Taker Ulmer Edge Broadheads
Trophy Taker’s new Ulmer Edge broadhead is packed full of features that expandable broadhead fans will love. First and foremost, the head truly offers field tip accuracy due to the extremely low flight profile. Upon impact, razor sharp rear deploying blades create devastating full size entrance holes with maximum penetration. Patent pending blade design engages both blades together at full cutting diameter while allowing the blades to pivot around heavy bone. Other features that round out this head include a bone splitting stainless steel tip, 1.5” cutting diameter, and a blade retention system that prevents accidental blade deployment in flight or in your quiver! For those that still aren’t convinced, throw in the fact that the Ulmer Edge broadhead can be locked in “practice” mode and shot into ordinary broadhead targets without damaging the blades or the target and you have a broadhead that truly offers it all!
- True field tip accuracy due to extremely low flight profile
- Rear deploying blades for huge entrance holes and maximum penetration.
- Innovative blade engagement allows blades to pivot around heavy bone.
- Practice mode allows the Ulmer Edge to be shot into standard broadhead targets without damaging blades or targets.
- Stainless steel tip.
- Reliable blade retention system prevents accidental blade deployment in flight and in the quiver.
- 1.5 inch cutting diameter.
Easton Carbon Injexion Arrows
If you are looking to pull out all the stops and get the hardest-hitting arrow money can buy. If you also want the same ultra-micro diameter performance Olympic archers demand for downrange kinetic energy and superior crosswind performance. In the past, conventional broadheads and inserts prevented the use of target-size micro shafts in bowhunting. Thanks to Deep Six innovation, you now can get everything you ever wanted in a high performance hunting arrow.
- SIZES: 330, 400, 480
- High-strength carbon fiber
- Guaranteed straightness: ±.002”
- Weight tolerance: ±0.5 grains
- Polished 9-micron finish
- Factory crested
- Pre-installed deep red G Nocks
- Deep Six steel G HIT inserts – included
- Deep Six steel field points – sold separately
- Deep Six broadheads – sold separately
NAP Deep Six Spitfire Maxx Broadhead
- 1-3/4” Cutting Diameter – 1 3/4” cutting diameter provides huge wound channels for quicker recoveries.
- New Longer Trophy Tip – New longer Trophy Tip allows for more penetration before broadhead deployment, which reduces the chance for deflection on even the steepest shots.
- Larger Entry & Exit Holes – Over-bore technology creates larger wound channels, which allows your arrow to pass through the animal with less friction, thus increasing penetration.
- Compatible with Easton Deep Six inserts
NAP Deep Six Big Nasty Broadheads
- Over-The-Shaft Broadhead- Over-the-shaft design for optimal broadhead-arrow alignment. –
Cut On Contact Design – Cut-on-Contact design for maximum penetration.
All Stainless Steel COC – Stainless steel construction & photon blade bonding for maximum strength & durability.
Available Weights – 100 Grain, Cutting Diameter – 1-1/8”
Ruger American Rifle
Redesigned from the ground up and completely manufactured in America, the Ruger American Rifle offers several new innovations.
- Ruger Marksman Adjustable Trigger – Crisp and adjustable between 3-5 lbs.
- Synthetic Lightweight Stock – with grip contours.
- Soft Rubber Recoil Pad – Minimizes the jolt of larger calibers.
- Three Lug Dual Locking Bolt – Smooth cocking from the shoulder and a positive lock.
- Power Bedding – Positively centers and free floats the barrel for improved accuracy.
- Hammer Forged Barrel – Improved rifling and lower maintenance.
- Tang Safety – For improved ease of use and accessibility.
- Rotary Magazine – Four round rotary magazine fits flush to the rifle and offers superior reliability.
- Drilled and Tapped Receiver – Accommodates the included scope mount bases.
- MSRP: $499
Winchester Razorback XT
New for 2012, Winchester Ammunition is creating excitement among hog hunters from the California coast to the swamps of Florida with the launch of Razorback XT – the world’s first specialized cartridge specifically designed for wild hog hunting.
- .223 Rem, 64 grain, 3020 fps
- .308 Win, 150 grain, 2810 fps
Browning A5 Hunter Shotgun
Receiver – Strong, lightweight aluminum alloy • Black anodized bi-tone finish
Barrel – Lightweight profile • Flat, ventilated rib
Action – 3” chamber • Recoil operated Kinematic Drive is ultra-reliable and cycles a wide range of loads
Stock – Gloss finish walnut with close radius pistol grip • Sharp 22 lines-per-inch checkering • Shim adjustable for length of pull, cast and drop
Features – Vector Pro lengthened forcing cone • Three Invector-DS choke tubes • Inflex II Technology recoil pad • Brass front bead sight • Ivory mid-bead sight • One 1/4” stock spacer and one 1/2” stock spacer, plus lengthened screws for total adjustment of 3/4” • Included ABS case.
- Ga: 12 3”
- Barrel Length: 30”
- Overall Length: 51 5/8”
- Length of Pull: 14 1/4”
- Drop at Comb: 1 3/4”
- Drop at Heel: 2”
- Nom. Weight: 6 lbs. 15 oz.
- MSRP: $1,559.99
Nikon M308 Riflescope
Engineered for the .308 Winchester/7.62×51 NATO round with 168-grain hollow point boattail Match bullet
- Ultra ClearCoat Optical System for up to 95% light transmission
- Eye Box Technology-4-time zoom and up to 4” of constant eye relief
- Enhanced mount ring spacing
- Waterproof, fogproof, shockproof
- Zero-Reset Turrets
- One-piece main body tube
- Locking side focus parallax adjustment
Leica Trinovid Binoculars
Leica Trinovid 8 × 42
- The ideal universal binoculars
- Eye-strain-free viewing well into the twilight hours
- Absolutely steady image for comfortable viewing
- Extreme depth of field thanks to 8× magnification
Leica Trinovid 10 × 42
- Ideal for viewing at greater distances
- Bright, high-contrast long-distance viewing and a highly detailed near view
- Very good twilight performance combined with compact dimensions
Voodoo Tactical Scorpion Range Bag
The Scorpion range bag is a sweet range bag sure to please the pickiest shooter. This medium-sized bag is well thought-out, looks terrific, and does a great job of carrying your gear.
Access to main compartment is with two full length zippers connected with a rubber handle. This allows you to open it wide enough to load boxes of ammo, earmuffs, cleaning kits and other accessories. Of course, the bag also holds two handguns (both zipper compartments have lockable zipper pulls) and has exterior pockets for other gear. It’s a nice, compact bag that is easy to use.
Removable, adjustable, padded shoulder strap, wrap-around carry handle and textured rubber feet round out the features of this range bag. Measures 16”L x 10”W x 11”H.
Wenger Camping Lighters
Much like a Swiss Army Knife, a quality, reliable source of fire is essential to any outdoor adventure. Whether as a source of heat for cooking or survival or simply just the setting for a night of storytelling, a camping lighter is a “must take”.
All Wenger Camping Lighters are manufactured from high-quality materials and are refillable. Three models (Clava, Hydor, Asterion) employ Piezoelectric® ignition systems which allow for an air mixture into the fuel before ignition. The system produces an ultra hot (2000° F!), powerful blue flame that works at high altitudes and in windy and wet conditions.
The Fidis model is equipped with a classic wick flame and an integrated reserve tank. It’s ready for extended use and loyal service and is perfect for an extended backpacking trip anywhere.
All four models are available in black, chrome satin or red and come equipped with a limited lifetime warranty.
Jetboil Sumo Titanium
The all new Sumo Group Cooking System integrates the all weather Sol burner with the high capacity Sumo Companion Cup, yielding an unmatched blend of power, convenience, and efficiency for the full range of group backcountry cooking chores, from snow melting to simmering.
Larger groups can take advantage of the multiple cooking pot combos offered by Sumo (and the companion bowl set!), while smaller groups can enjoy minimal single pot cooking. Versatile Sumo supports a myriad of packing configurations, and is compatible with the full range of Jetboil accessories. Sumo Titanium Group Cooking System redefines backcountry group cooking performance, with a 1.8 liter titanium FluxRing cooking vessel weighing in at 6.5 ounces and a total system weight of 12 ounces. Designed to fuel your backcountry passion, Jetboil Sumo Ti delivers ultimate performance and reliability in extreme conditions. Will be available online soon.
- Thermo-Regulate technology – consistent heat to 20°F
- 1.8 Liter FluxRing cooking cup
- Insulating Cozy and secure strap
- Convenient, reliable push-button igniter
- Pot Support and Stabilizer tripod included
- Drink-through lid with pour spout & strainer
- Compatible with all Jetboil Accessories
CamelBak All Clear Water Purification Bottle
The creators of hands-free hydration are once again introducing another bright idea. The CamelBak All Clear Microbiological UV Water Purifier is a portable water purification system that takes the worry, hassle and guesswork out of making water microbiologically safe for drinking – in just 60 seconds.
All Clear features a high-powered ultraviolet light that neutralizes 99.9999 percent of bacteria, 99.99 percent of viruses and 99.9 percent of protozoa. In three simple steps, users secure the cap, hold the power button down for 2 seconds and rotate the bottle allowing the ultraviolet light technology to destroy and neutralize waterborne viruses and bacteria. An LCD screen reveals when the purification cycle is complete and thus when the water is safe to drink.
All Clear is extremely fast, sterilizing 0.75 liters of water in 60 seconds, and the bulb lasts more than 10,000 cycles – the equivalent of purifying 3 liters per day for nearly seven years. It is ideally suited for global adventurers, backcountry enthusiasts, disaster preparedness kits, family camping trips and everyday situations where water quality is questionable.
Fast / Energy Efficient: 60 seconds per cycle • Energy efficient design purifies 80 cycles per full charge
Easy-To-Use: LCD screen provides critical information • Cycle start, cycle time, successful cycle completion, battery life, charging status • Simple instructions permanently printed on the bottle
Long lasting: UV bulb lasts 10,000 cycles
Classic Cap: Versatile cap for use after the water in the bottle has been purified
Protective Cover: Protects the UV bulb when not in use
Availability: March 2012
CamelBak All Clear Microbiological UV Water Purifier Kit includes: All Clear Cap, 0.75L Tritan Better Bottle with Classic Cap, Protective Cover and Recharge Cable (mini USB plugs directly into cap and connects to a wide range of USB compatible wall chargers, laptops, cell phones, solar, etc.)
Separately Sold Accessory: All Clear Pre-Filter, mounts securely over threads, 100 micron screen gravity filters larger particulates
Browning Rechargeable Air Bed
- Top-of-the-Line Coils Provide the Best Durability and Comfort
- State-of-the-Art Rechargeable Pump Inflates and Deflates
- Rechargeable Pump Includes Car Charger and Wall Charger
- Inflates Quickly and Easily with the “Flip of a Switch”
- Industry Leading Thick and Durable PVC
- Soft Flocked Top Adds Extra Comfort and Helps Prevent Sliding Around
- Carry Bag Included for Easy Transport and Storage
- Available in Queen Size
- Easily Fits in Most Camping Tents
- For Indoor and Outdoor Use
- Inflated Dimensions: 60” wide x 80” long x 8.5” tall
- Weight: 12 lbs. 15 oz.
- Packed Size: 14” x 8” x 17”
The Tenzing product lineup includes models that are full-sized backpacks, lumbar packs, single-sling archer’s pack, lightweight daypacks, waist-belt camera bag, fanny pack and the women’s-fitted pack.
All Tenzing packs feature advanced strength panels reinforced with Dyneema for unmatched protection against rips, punctures and failures. Also, all packs incorporate an innovative and expandable storage compartment somewhere in their designs. Another Tenzing family trait is that the main compartment always incorporates yellow zipper pulls and teeth for instant identification and access into it.
All Tenzing packs are organized to make optimum use of each pack’s size. Most models incorporate an H2O compartment with hydration port for a 2-liter reservoir, while the smaller packs have expandable pockets for carrying water bottles.
All Tenzing packs are available in Realtree Max-1 camo patterns, and some also offer Realtree AP as an option. The models range in price from the fanny pack TZ 720 that sells for around $99.99, up to the spacious TZ 6000 backpack that retails for about $399.99.
Sitka Waterfowl Collection
The new line of performance waterfowl gear from Sitka Gear utilizes the all new GORE OPTIFADE Concealment Marsh Pattern. Twenty plus pieces addresses the needs of late season waterfowler in a wide variety of hunting situations.
Barnes VOR-TX Handgun Ammunition
Deep, dependable penetration and rapid double-diameter expansion make the XPB bullets ideal for hunting. Offering maximum weight retention and excellent accuracy, the XPB bullets provide maximum tissue and bone destruction, pass-through penetration and devastating energy transfer. Bullets open instantly on contact – no other bullet expands as quickly. Nose peels back into four sharp-edged copper petals destroying tissue, bone and vital organs for a quick, humane kill.
Barnes VOR-TX Handgun Ammunition is available in the following calibers:
- 41 Rem Mag 180 grain XPB
- 454 Casull 250 grain XPB
- 357 Magnum 140 grain XPB
- 44 Magnum 225 grain XPB
- 45 Colt 200 grain XPB
Bushnell G-FORCE 1300 ARC Rangefinder
- Rubber Armored Metal Housing
- VDT- Vivid Display Technology
- 5-1300 Yards Ranging Performance
- E.S.P. – Extreme. Speed. Precision
- ARC – Bow and Rifle Modes
- VSI – Variable Sight-In
- BullsEye, Brush & SCAN
CVA Mountain Rifle
Designed as an all weather hunting gun, the CVA Mountain Rifle was created with extreme conditions in mind. The action-style and stock design were borrowed from the CVA APEX, which is CVA’s muzzleloading/center-fire interchangeable model. However, the weight of the gun, at just 6.35 pounds, is over a full pound lighter than the APEX – this due to the use of an aluminum rather than steel frame. This weight advantage, combined with the compact 25” barrel, make the ACCURA MR much more maneuverable than any of the other high dollar smoke poles — with a fit and ease of target acquisition that reminiscent of a custom made rifle or shotgun.
- Quick Release Breech Plug (QRBP)
- Trigger Guard Actuated Breeching Action
- Neutral Center of Gravity Trigger
- premium SoftTouch stock with rubber grip panels
- WeatherGuard barrel finish
- 416 grade stainless steel Bergara barrel.
Beretta A300 Outlander Shotgun
In keeping with the Beretta tradition, the new A300 Outlander is a soft-shooting gas-operated system semi-auto which combines the reliable Beretta bolt with falling block (locked breech) with an improved gas valve with a self-cleaning cylinder and piston, so that excess pressure caused by the most powerful cartridges can be decreased automatically.
- Gauge: 12
- Chamber (in): 3”
- Chokes: Mobilchoke
- Barrel Length (cm): 61/66/71/76
- Barrel Length (in): 24/26/28/30
Vasque Snow Junkie
This insulated trail shoe is built for cold-weather trail running, endless snowshoeing and good old-fashioned sledding with friends.
Built on the successful Perpetuum last for a great all around fit, with more room in the toe box for extra warmth on colder days, the Snow Junkie is the winter cousin to the top selling Vasque Mindbender trail running shoe. Insulated with 200 grams of 3M Thinsulate Ultra encased in a coated nylon diamond rip stop fabric upper, an UltraDry waterproofing membrane and a D-Ring for gaiter compatibility, the Snow Junkie UltraDry will keep active feet warm and dry.
With a weight of 18.65 oz per shoe/2lb 5 oz per pair, the Snow Junkie UltraDry is also the perfect insulated shoe for all-day wear when cold weather strikes. Available in men’s only in 2 colorways, Pesto/Beluga and Jet Black/Chili Pepper. MSRP $130
Sierra Designs DriDown Sleeping Bags
Introducing a major step forward in down sleeping bag performance, Sierra Designs debuts groundbreaking DriDown insulation technology in a new line of sleeping bags.
A vast improvement over regular down, DriDown features a molecular level polymer applied to individual down plumes during the down finishing process. A proprietary application method developed by Sierra Designs ensures a hydrophobic finish. As a result, DriDown stays dry 7 times longer in the presence of rain, melting snow, or spills, maintains 98 percent loft after a night in a high humidity environment, and dries 33 percent faster when it does get wet for a dryer, warmer, more comfortable night’s sleep.
Staying dry longer, lofting better, and drying faster, DriDown sleeping bags represent the evolution of down insulation technology, outperforming regular down sleeping bags in any given environment from arid deserts to humid costal locals to icy polar environments. Sierra Designs is introducing five new sleeping bag styles, covering a wide range of backcountry conditions.
DriDown, polyester ripstop shells, and polyester liners for an outstanding blend of performance, warmth, compressibility, and light weight.
Vortex Ranger 1000 Rangefinder
Capable of ranging targets to 1,000 yards, the Ranger gives hunters and shooters distance data needed to make accurate shots. Easy to use with a clean display and highly intuitive menu, the Ranger keeps things simple, yet provides a high level of performance. Primary HCD (Horizontal Component Distance) mode displays an angle-compensated distance reading. Ideal for gun hunters, target shooters and bowhunters, the Vortex Ranger 1000 is sure to be a hit—and ensure hits.
- Range Reflective: 11-1000 yards
- Range Deer: 11-500 yards
- Magnification x Objective Lens: 6×22
- Field of View 1000 yards/degrees: 315’/ 6.0˚
- Eye relief: 17mm
- Height x width: 3.0×3.9”
- Weight: 7.7 oz.
Diamond Atomic Youth Bow
First impressions mean a lot. If a new archer’s first shot is with the Atomic, you’re off to a great start. Simple and smooth, it’s an extremely adjustable and forgiving dual cam bow. It’s durable enough to take all of the abuse a young archer (or groups of archers) can dish out. Yet it has the same Diamond attention to technical detail as all of our bows with machined cams and beyond parallel limbs. The result is a fun bow to shoot with surprising speed and excellent accuracy – it’s a great first shot.
- Draw Weight: 6-29 lbs
- Draw Length: 12-24”
- Kinetic Energy: 20.66 ft-lbs
- Axle to axle: 24”
- IBO Speed: 191 fps
- Brace height: 6”
Stealth Cam Drone-Remote Surveillance System
Imagine scouting that big buck or trophy bull from your desk at the office. The new DRONE connects your Stealth Cam (DRONE compatible) camera to the Stealth Cam DRONE Control Hub via a cellular link using Verizon Wireless. This system will allow you to log into your camera’s remote location anywhere you would get normal cellular service. You can see all the photos that have been taken in thumbnail images, crop photos, and upload high definition photos right to your computer. You can also check your battery life, delete unwanted images, changes time between pictures, and just about everything you once had to go back to your camera to reset. All of this can be done from the comforts of home. This product is also good for general surveillance of any need.
Purchase a Stealth Cam (DRONE compatible) camera and a DRONE wireless GPS module. Go to www.stealthcamdrone.com and register your DRONE wireless GPS module. During registration you will create a user id & password for secure login. Once you have registered you can select your desired data plan just as you would for cellular service and begin to manage your cameras settings and view your Stealth Cam DRONE images.
Weatherby Skull TR Shotgun
Stock And Forend
- Proveil’s Reaper Black 3D pattern on the stock and forend components
- Comfortable ergonomic pistol grip style buttstock with rubber textured grip area
- 13.5” LOP for quick shoulder mounting and target acquisition
- Low-density recoil pad for maximum recoil absorption
- Unique extended forend for easy function of action
- Receiver constructed of CNC-machined aircraft-grade 7075 T-6 alloy to reduce weight and improve handling characteristics
- Drilled, tapped and installed mil-spec Picatinny rail for easy sight/light mounting
- Clamp style LPA ghost ring rear sight features easy elevation and windage screw adjustment
- Extended slide release for quick operation
- Matte black finish on all metalwork
- Magazine capacity is 4-3” rounds or 5-2 3/4” rounds
- 18.5” chrome-line barrels for extended durability
- Barrel fitted with .810”-1mm extended and ported cylinder choke tube for application specific patterning
- Blade front sight features fiber optic pin for quick sight acquisition
- Weighs approximately 6.5 lbs
- 40” overall length