There are many wonderful destinations throughout Alaska. It is truly a wonderland for hunting, fishing and sightseeing in every direction. But one thing you have to realize is, you just can’t hop in your car and drive to any part of it that catches your fancy. Alaska is a wild place full of lush, dense growth, water seemingly everywhere, some of the world’s highest snow covered peaks, including many famous and active volcanoes with all of the above making travel a little more of what you would call “Creative” in most cases.
Here are a few facts that will shed a little more light on the subject of our 49th state:
- No sunset for 84 days.
- No sunrise for 67 days.
- It is one-fifth the size of the rest of the United States combined.
- Has the smallest population in the U.S. with Anchorage its largest city.
- Half of the worlds glaciers are found in Alaska and cover about 3% of its total area.
- It has 47,300 miles of coastline, more than all of our other 49 states combined.
- Mt. McKinley (Denali is the native word) is North America’s tallest peak.
- Anchorage’s Lake Hood is said to be the worlds’ largest floatplane base.
- And of course the most famous land sale of all time from Russia in 1867 for about .02 cents an acre!
Having said all of this, when it comes to venturing into Alaska, in most cases, your trip from the lower 48 will start when you hit Anchorage.
With Anchorage as your base to adventure, many travelers will find the need for a hotel room either before or after their adventure begins or ends. Now you will find many great hotels that will take care of your wants and needs, but believe me, you will also be paying top dollar for those accommodations and amenities. The team at Sportsman’s News always chooses the Puffin Inn as it’s resting place when in Anchorage. The Puffin Inn is one of only a few no-chain hotels left in the area and General Manager Sonja Jorgensen and her staff go out of their way to make sure your needs are met and at the best price available.
The Sportsman’s News highly recommends that you make the Puffin Inn your headquarters for exploring all that Alaska has to offer. They are conveniently located a short drive from the Ted Stevens International Airport and the many downtown Anchorage attractions. Complimentary airport shuttle service is available 24/7 as well as breakfast and wireless Internet access to all guests at no charge. Give the Puffin Inn a call today (907-243-4044) to book you next stay when the need for a little layover brings you to the beautiful city of Anchorage, Alaska, truly the entrance to America’s “Last Frontier”!
P.S. Don’t forget to ask about their PPM (Puffin Priority Membership) for a chance to save even more on your stays throughout the year.