Avatar

Please consider registering
guest

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —




— Match —





— Forum Options —





Minimum search word length is 3 characters – maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
A pawn shop find
Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 (0 votes) 
July 26, 2011
10:45 pm
Avatar
colorado hunter
Colorado

Moderator
Members


Moderators
Forum Posts: 2219
Member Since:
March 10, 2011
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

I troll the pawn shops in town every couple weeks just to see if anything interesting shows up. I've had pretty good luck doing that in the past although you really do have to know what you're looking at.  Over time, I've bought several rifles and several good handguns but i just scored one that stands out. 

I know the guy who runs this particular shop and when I walked in he said he had something for me.  It was a NIB never-been-fired Colt Series 70 (2nd Gen), complete with the blue Custom Shop box and even the white outer box.  All the papers are there and even the Colt-logo cable lock.  The 2nd Gen pistols don't have quite the same collector interest as the 1st Gen ones but then I'm not a collector – these pistols are some of the best 1911A1s Colt ever made, IMO.  I asked him how much cash it was going to cost me and was shocked when he went to his computer and said $525.  SOLD!

Image Enlarger

This is what the pistol looks like except mine has Colt presentation grips.  I like it!

July 26, 2011
11:23 pm
Avatar
sl-eye_noyes
Oregon

Platinum Member
Members
Forum Posts: 3118
Member Since:
April 30, 2011
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Wow Ken That is a great Buy congrats to you!Smile

July 27, 2011
5:17 am
Avatar
m gardner
Mesa,Az

Moderator
Members


Moderators
Forum Posts: 1236
Member Since:
April 24, 2011
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Got to love that! Wink

July 27, 2011
7:35 am
Avatar
jkgruet
Albuquerque, NM 87111

Platinum Member
Members
Forum Posts: 785
Member Since:
April 8, 2011
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Wow. 
My favorite revolver was also a pawn shop find.  I should start making the rounds again.

July 27, 2011
7:43 am
Avatar
colorado hunter
Colorado

Moderator
Members


Moderators
Forum Posts: 2219
Member Since:
March 10, 2011
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

jkgruet said:

Wow. 
My favorite revolver was also a pawn shop find.  I should start making the rounds again.


What's the revolver, James?  My own favorite one is  S&W Model 15 that I got in a trade with a good friend of mine.  I love shooting that piece.
July 27, 2011
8:47 am
Avatar
elkmuzzleloader
New Mexico

Platinum Member
Members
Forum Posts: 2475
Member Since:
April 23, 2011
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

I really need to get to the pawn shops.  THat is a great find congrats.

Do more than what is expected of you.

July 27, 2011
9:19 am
Avatar
shiveley
Sacramento, CA

Platinum Member
Members
Forum Posts: 894
Member Since:
March 4, 2011
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Hmm, I don't even know of any pawn shops around me. Guess I need to look a little harder because this sounds like it could be kinda fun.

July 27, 2011
9:38 am
Avatar
flattenedgravy

Platinum Member
Members
Forum Posts: 1628
Member Since:
April 9, 2011
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

I've never purchased a gun at a pawn shot, but maybe I should go check them out!  You got a nice gun there…!

July 27, 2011
9:49 am
Avatar
colorado hunter
Colorado

Moderator
Members


Moderators
Forum Posts: 2219
Member Since:
March 10, 2011
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Two things to keep in mind about pawn shops . . .

1. there are no guarantees so be sure you check things out very thoroughly and

2. prices are always negotiable.  Pawn shops usually price guns at about double what they've got in it so making an 75% of full price offer is a good start. 

And one more thing, too – developing a friendly relationship with the manager is helpful when it comes to negotiating.

July 27, 2011
10:14 am
Avatar
paul
Mesa, Arizona

Platinum Member
Members
Forum Posts: 1196
Member Since:
March 21, 2011
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
10sp_Permalink sp_Print
0

Nice buy CH, it's good to have freinds in the right places.

July 27, 2011
10:23 am
Avatar
flattenedgravy

Platinum Member
Members
Forum Posts: 1628
Member Since:
April 9, 2011
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
11sp_Permalink sp_Print
0

It would be nice to just catch people as they're going to the pawn shop to sell their guns and buy them for what they would get from the Pawn shop!

July 27, 2011
10:40 am
Avatar
colorado hunter
Colorado

Moderator
Members


Moderators
Forum Posts: 2219
Member Since:
March 10, 2011
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
12sp_Permalink sp_Print
0

FlattenedGravy said:

It would be nice to just catch people as they're going to the pawn shop to sell their guns and buy them for what they would get from the Pawn shop!


I did that once – bought a Mossberg 88 pump 12 gauge (in a high end gun case, too) for $75 from a guy.  However, pawn shops don't like it when you do that – they tend to see it as interfering with their business – so either don't be seen or don't go back.  Wink
July 27, 2011
5:10 pm
Avatar
longwalker
oregon

Silver Member
Members
Forum Posts: 226
Member Since:
April 24, 2011
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
13sp_Permalink sp_Print
0

One day many years ago I was in a pawn shop when the owner told a customer that he wasn't interested in buying his gun. I followed the man out to his car and bought his Winchester low wall 44/40. The store owner never even asked him how much he wanted or made an offer. Just told the guy he wasn't interested. I figured his loss my gain.

July 27, 2011
5:28 pm
Avatar
colorado hunter
Colorado

Moderator
Members


Moderators
Forum Posts: 2219
Member Since:
March 10, 2011
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
14sp_Permalink sp_Print
0

longwalker said:

One day many years ago I was in a pawn shop when the owner told a customer that he wasn't interested in buying his gun. I followed the man out to his car and bought his Winchester low wall 44/40. The store owner never even asked him how much he wanted or made an offer. Just told the guy he wasn't interested. I figured his loss my gain.


Not interested in a Winchester Low Wall??  Not a very knowledgable pawn shop owner.  Glad you saved it.
July 28, 2011
11:37 am
Avatar
j9nance
Gilbert, AZ

Member
Members
Forum Posts: 20
Member Since:
July 10, 2011
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
15sp_Permalink sp_Print
0

Very Nice!

July 28, 2011
4:41 pm
Avatar
yotebooter
NW PHX

Moderator
Members


Moderators
Forum Posts: 1076
Member Since:
April 25, 2011
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
16sp_Permalink sp_Print
0

Congrats CH. Very nice find. Now that's diversifying your portfolio with precious metal.

July 28, 2011
6:46 pm
Avatar
colorado hunter
Colorado

Moderator
Members


Moderators
Forum Posts: 2219
Member Since:
March 10, 2011
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
17sp_Permalink sp_Print
0

yotebooter said:

Congrats CH. Very nice find. Now that's diversifying your portfolio with precious metal.


Yep – you're right about that, YB.  These things appreciate better than most investments have the past couple years.
July 29, 2011
11:05 am
Avatar
bomber

Platinum Member
Members
Forum Posts: 906
Member Since:
May 10, 2011
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
18sp_Permalink sp_Print
0

awesome find

 

is that a pawn shop in castle rock?

July 29, 2011
1:46 pm
Avatar
colorado hunter
Colorado

Moderator
Members


Moderators
Forum Posts: 2219
Member Since:
March 10, 2011
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
19sp_Permalink sp_Print
0

bomber said:

awesome find

 

is that a pawn shop in castle rock?


No – it's on North Academy in the Springs.  Cash America is the name.
August 6, 2011
11:23 am
Avatar
flcjinflorida

Member
Members
Forum Posts: 3
Member Since:
August 6, 2011
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
20sp_Permalink sp_Print
0

I live in Florida as my username implies. I found a Glock 27 at a pawnshop for $325.00. It only had 50 rounds put through it and the person didn't like it. What makes it such a great find is the fact that my Glock has night sights and Pierce Grip extensions.

Being neccessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed

 

“I carry a pistol because I cannot carry a Law Enforcement Officer”—me

August 6, 2011
12:18 pm
Avatar
yotebooter
NW PHX

Moderator
Members


Moderators
Forum Posts: 1076
Member Since:
April 25, 2011
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
21sp_Permalink sp_Print
0

flcjinflorida said:

I live in Florida as my username implies. I found a Glock 27 at a pawnshop for $325.00. It only had 50 rounds put through it and the person didn't like it. What makes it such a great find is the fact that my Glock has night sights and Pierce Grip extensions.


Nice find. Congrats and welcome to the SNforum.
August 6, 2011
1:11 pm
Avatar
Sharpshooter
St. George UtAH

Member
Members
Forum Posts: 19
Member Since:
August 3, 2011
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
22sp_Permalink sp_Print
0

Sweet deal I will keep that in mind when I'm near a pawn shop.

August 7, 2011
6:39 pm
Avatar
flcjinflorida

Member
Members
Forum Posts: 3
Member Since:
August 6, 2011
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
23sp_Permalink sp_Print
0

Thanks for welcoming me. I have been checking out the Pawn Shops in the area, but have yet to find another great deal. I'll keep everyone posted.

Being neccessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed

 

“I carry a pistol because I cannot carry a Law Enforcement Officer”—me

August 7, 2011
7:59 pm
Avatar
sl-eye_noyes
Oregon

Platinum Member
Members
Forum Posts: 3118
Member Since:
April 30, 2011
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
24sp_Permalink sp_Print
0

The pawn shops have very few good deals, and the prices for most of the used and you can defenetly tell it has been used are so close to brand new prices it is worth the little extra to get a brand new gun!Frown

August 8, 2011
5:40 pm
Avatar
TBuettner

New Member
Members
Forum Posts: 1
Member Since:
August 8, 2011
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
25sp_Permalink sp_Print
0

that is what I have found in Arizona too but there are some good deals to be had if you know what you are doing and shop around…

August 8, 2011
9:46 pm
Avatar
kilztheelk
Oregon

Member
Members
Forum Posts: 8
Member Since:
August 8, 2011
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
26sp_Permalink sp_Print
0

I agree pawn shops have great deal, I found a Savage 270 for a great price it shoots great.

September 28, 2011
5:53 pm
Avatar
jtillotson

Member
Members
Forum Posts: 31
Member Since:
May 25, 2011
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
27sp_Permalink sp_Print
0

Pawn Shops are great places to shop guns.  Great find!

September 28, 2011
9:42 pm
Avatar
Hotrodqueen
Oregon

Member
Members
Forum Posts: 26
Member Since:
September 22, 2011
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
28sp_Permalink sp_Print
0

That is amazing Cool

September 29, 2011
12:19 am
Avatar
NEILT

Platinum Member
Members
Forum Posts: 1239
Member Since:
August 17, 2011
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
29sp_Permalink sp_Print
0

nice…enjoy

September 29, 2011
6:10 am
Avatar
ralph smith
Martha’s Vineyard, Ma

New Member
Members
Forum Posts: 2
Member Since:
September 29, 2011
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
30sp_Permalink sp_Print
0

I found a 30-06 remington 742, $350.00 shoots great, I thought it was quite reasonable.

September 29, 2011
8:13 am
Avatar
jkgruet
Albuquerque, NM 87111

Platinum Member
Members
Forum Posts: 785
Member Since:
April 8, 2011
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
31sp_Permalink sp_Print
0

sl-eye_noyes said:

The pawn shops have very few good deals, and the prices for most of the used and you can defenetly tell it has been used are so close to brand new prices it is worth the little extra to get a brand new gun!Frown


A couple of pawn shops nearby are also new-gun dealers, which quickly explained their pricing schedule.  I think it might be possible to get a reasonable deal on used guns, but . . . one thing I noticed was a well-worn Ruger 10/22 for only about $20 less than a new one would be.

I suppose “make an offer” might be a good policy. 

September 29, 2011
9:24 am
Avatar
bluewater
Ringgold, Louisiana

Platinum Member
Members
Forum Posts: 2368
Member Since:
April 29, 2011
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
32sp_Permalink sp_Print
0

A few years ago I saw a beautiful Remington .41 cal. derringer in a pawn shop,but the $800.00 price tag was more than I wanted to pay.

” When firearms go, all goes-we need them every hour.” President George Washington

September 29, 2011
9:27 am
Avatar
colorado hunter
Colorado

Moderator
Members


Moderators
Forum Posts: 2219
Member Since:
March 10, 2011
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
33sp_Permalink sp_Print
0

jkgruet said:

sl-eye_noyes said:

The pawn shops have very few good deals, and the prices for most of the used and you can defenetly tell it has been used are so close to brand new prices it is worth the little extra to get a brand new gun!Frown


A couple of pawn shops nearby are also new-gun dealers, which quickly explained their pricing schedule.  I think it might be possible to get a reasonable deal on used guns, but . . . one thing I noticed was a well-worn Ruger 10/22 for only about $20 less than a new one would be.
I suppose “make an offer” might be a good policy. 

You're both right about that – some places that sell used guns price them at new gun prices.  One local place even has used Glocks priced at more than the new price at the SW right down the street.  It just points up the importance of knowing what you're looking at and being aware of what the price should be.  That doesn't work with unusual or collector pieces but it's always possible to price check using the blue books or just checking Gunbroker.
September 29, 2011
10:05 am
Avatar
millerk420
Longview, TX

Moderator
Members


Moderators
Forum Posts: 621
Member Since:
May 11, 2011
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
34sp_Permalink sp_Print
0

yep research research research, we hit pawn shops gun stores and gun shows comparing prices and qualities of different guns.  I will walk a gun show 2-3 times before i whittle it down to the guys i want to even try to bargain with

————————————————–

“Welcome to Texas, We Don’t Call 911”

September 29, 2011
11:57 am
Avatar
colorado hunter
Colorado

Moderator
Members


Moderators
Forum Posts: 2219
Member Since:
March 10, 2011
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
35sp_Permalink sp_Print
0

millerk420 said:

yep research research research, we hit pawn shops gun stores and gun shows comparing prices and qualities of different guns.  I will walk a gun show 2-3 times before i whittle it down to the guys i want to even try to bargain with


That's a good tactic.  Every once in while, though – like with the Colt I bought – you'll hit one that is just too good a deal to pass on and that's when it pays to know what you're looking at.  Here's a better picture of that NIB Series 70 I bought that I started this thread with.

Image Enlarger

I had been looking for one of that particular model and knew that they go for $800-900 (minimum) on the auction sites and more than that in the gun stores.  So, when I saw it and could buy it for $525, it was a quick decision to buy.

September 29, 2011
4:59 pm
Avatar
sl-eye_noyes
Oregon

Platinum Member
Members
Forum Posts: 3118
Member Since:
April 30, 2011
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
36sp_Permalink sp_Print
0

colorado hunter said:

millerk420 said:

yep research research research, we hit pawn shops gun stores and gun shows comparing prices and qualities of different guns.  I will walk a gun show 2-3 times before i whittle it down to the guys i want to even try to bargain with


That's a good tactic.  Every once in while, though – like with the Colt I bought – you'll hit one that is just too good a deal to pass on and that's when it pays to know what you're looking at.  Here's a better picture of that NIB Series 70 I bought that I started this thread with.
 

Image Enlarger

I had been looking for one of that particular model and knew that they go for $800-900 (minimum) on the auction sites and more than that in the gun stores.  So, when I saw it and could buy it for $525, it was a quick decision to buy.


That is a beautiful 1911. just hearing about it and what a good deal you got was nice, but the picture brings the great bargain all together! It is BEAUTIFUL ch.Smile
November 15, 2011
10:07 pm
Avatar
MarioC
Tennessee

Member
Members
Forum Posts: 19
Member Since:
November 10, 2011
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
37sp_Permalink sp_Print
0

I haven’t gone to a pawn shop in like 5 years easy, maybe 6. I do go to the Gun Exchange once a month and see what’s in. Need to go more often because I missed out on a couple of pistols.

November 17, 2011
12:27 pm
Avatar
scarlino
Oregon

Platinum Member
Members
Forum Posts: 1839
Member Since:
April 25, 2011
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
38sp_Permalink sp_Print
0

I should probably check out the pawn shops in my area.  Most of the stuff that I have seen has been to highly priced for what it was, but I will keep trying.  I would love to pick up a concealed carry revolver and a pawn shop might be the place.

October 4, 2016
12:57 am
Avatar
tomgrace

New Member
Members
Forum Posts: 1
Member Since:
October 4, 2016
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
39sp_Permalink sp_Print
0

Pawn shops are good places to get such items at right price. I have gone through a gun but being old, it was not functioning and I show it to repair expert and he told me that its part are not available in the market and there is no use to get it. So I returned it back and go through one guitar for my son. It was in good condition and after getting it checked, I purchased it for $ 250. It was liked by everybody. 

Forum Timezone: America/Denver

Most Users Ever Online: 152

Currently Online:
17 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

sl-eye_noyes: 3118

elkmuzzleloader: 2475

bluewater: 2368

scarlino: 1839

wyflyguy: 1817

flattenedgravy: 1628

NEILT: 1239

paul: 1196

bomber: 906

shiveley: 894

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 171

Members: 15697

Moderators: 12

Admins: 3

Forum Stats:

Groups: 1

Forums: 6

Topics: 2754

Posts: 42224

Newest Members:

jojob1, Pooldoc, laurie s, basshawg47, kwright11, Bush_On, BMahoney, Mikee105, ed1136, Agkimm

Moderators: colorado hunter: 2219, m gardner: 1236, yotebooter: 1076, millerk420: 621, LisaDeming: 24, Corey McNeil: 0, dankidder: 1, Dave Kimball: 0, Mark Mehler: 0, Corey McNeil_1: 0, Sam Staudt: 0, David Parris: 0

Administrators: editor: 1510, trophyhunter: 243, danjanovich: 272