Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters – maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Hot Topics for 2015
Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 (0 votes) 
February 10, 2015
6:58 am
danjanovich

Forum Posts: 272
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

With the new year upon us and our list of forum members ever growing, we would like your feedback on what topics you would like to hear about during the coming year.  One of our most popular sections has been our “Pro’s Tips” and we would like ‘you’ the readers to give us input on what you what to see highlighted in the pages of the Sportsman’s  News  in this section. Give us your ideas and we will try and fit them in!!!

February 10, 2015
7:38 am
rcatron

Silver Member
Members
Forum Posts: 276

I always enjoy tips on dog training. There are abundant resources out there, but little tips on things to work on or drills to run are always nice to hear from different perspectives.

February 10, 2015
10:07 am
wyflyguy
Albuquerque, NM

Platinum Member
Members
Forum Posts: 1817

I would personally benefit from some advice/tips/discussion about scouting with a focus on public land hunting.

Every year I draw a tag I start with the best of intentions to spend a lot of time in the area I drew.  However, between life, work, family and church I usually only end up with a weekend or two that I am actually able to get out.  I imagine that there are many who are in that same boat.  It’s just not feasible to spend tons of time in a unit before the hunt.  So something around the following would be helpful:

How do I maximize my time in the field scouting?  What should I be doing at home to prepare?  How can I tell from available resources (maps, Google Earth, etc.) where to find productive hunting areas?  Basically, without spending a month in the field learning every nook and cranny, how can I give myself the best possible chance at a successful hunt?

February 11, 2015
7:17 am
thesergeant
Arizona

Platinum Member
Members
Forum Posts: 583

I would benefit most from advise about when, where, how to hunt or fish. For example depending on the type of year what is the best fish to go after and using what bait at what depth? Does the same fish hit on a different lure at a different depth just because of a change of season? 

Along the same line for hunting I can think of an example for turkey or coyote. If I have a fall turkey hunt will the birds be found in a different location than the spring? Is one type of call better for fall and another more effective during the spring?

Those who would sacrafice their freedom for a little bit of security deserve neither.
Always Forward.

February 11, 2015
8:21 am
rcatron

Silver Member
Members

wyflyguy said
I would personally benefit from some advice/tips/discussion about scouting with a focus on public land hunting.

Every year I draw a tag I start with the best of intentions to spend a lot of time in the area I drew.  However, between life, work, family and church I usually only end up with a weekend or two that I am actually able to get out.  I imagine that there are many who are in that same boat.  It’s just not feasible to spend tons of time in a unit before the hunt.  So something around the following would be helpful:

How do I maximize my time in the field scouting?  What should I be doing at home to prepare?  How can I tell from available resources (maps, Google Earth, etc.) where to find productive hunting areas?  Basically, without spending a month in the field learning every nook and cranny, how can I give myself the best possible chance at a successful hunt?

This would be real beneficial for folks traveling to different states on a drawn hunt. Good idea

February 14, 2015
10:53 pm
sjfriend
anchor point, Alaska

Bronze Member
Members
Forum Posts: 54

I like the scouting idea for those of us who can’t spend time away from home ahead of season.

Also, I would be interested in more help with finding public access and reloading.

February 16, 2015
7:04 am
wyflyguy
Albuquerque, NM

Platinum Member
Members
Forum Posts: 1817

sjfriend said
I like the scouting idea for those of us who can’t spend time away from home ahead of season.

Also, I would be interested in more help with finding public access and reloading.

Over the past several years reloading has grown significantly in popularity.  I like the idea of reloading basics.

February 27, 2015
8:39 am
thesergeant
Arizona

Platinum Member
Members
Forum Posts: 583

This isn’t exactly a topic but it is still something I was wondering if it could be done in 2015 so I figure I’d throw it out under this thread. Is it possible this year for y’all to design a cell phone app so that I can post pics to the forum from my phone? If I’m fishing or hunting, most of the time now pictures are taken from my phone but under current conditions I cannot share them. The current set up requires me to download pictures to a computer and then upload to the forum. Sometimes I’m not at a computer for days, but I always have my phone with me. Just a thought.

Those who would sacrafice their freedom for a little bit of security deserve neither.
Always Forward.

March 8, 2015
11:28 pm
scarlino
Oregon

Platinum Member
Members
Forum Posts: 1839

I really like the posts about long range shooting.   So more topics like that would interest me.  I have been off the site for a while but hope to start regularly contributing again.

March 9, 2015
8:17 am
bluewater
Ringgold, Louisiana

Platinum Member
Members
Forum Posts: 2368
10sp_Permalink sp_Print

scarlino said
I really like the posts about long range shooting.   So more topics like that would interest me.  I have been off the site for a while but hope to start regularly contributing again.

Welcome back.

” When firearms go, all goes-we need them every hour.” President George Washington

March 9, 2015
8:35 pm
scarlino
Oregon

Platinum Member
Members
Forum Posts: 1839
11sp_Permalink sp_Print

bluewater said

scarlino said

Welcome back.

Thanks I am glad to be back I got a new phone from work and it is a lot easier to post and navigate the forums.   While I was away I got to teach a new class on Winter Survival & Snow Camping. If anyone is interested in that topic hit me up with any questions. 

April 8, 2015
4:33 pm
rcatron

Silver Member
Members
12sp_Permalink sp_Print

Yall ever did an article on mushroom hunting? It’s something I’ve always wanted to do as an excuse to walk around the woods and maybe find a shed or some sign for the next season. It’s also something I’ve always been hesitant to do since I really know little about where to look and identification.

June 11, 2015
11:34 am
rcatron

Silver Member
Members
13sp_Permalink sp_Print

rcatron said
Yall ever did an article on mushroom hunting? It’s something I’ve always wanted to do as an excuse to walk around the woods and maybe find a shed or some sign for the next season. It’s also something I’ve always been hesitant to do since I really know little about where to look and identification.

Great article on mushrooms. I like to think I played a hand in it. Now I just to find that old timer so I don’t trip out.

Forum Timezone: America/Denver

Most Users Ever Online: 152

Currently Online:
14 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

sl-eye_noyes: 3118

elkmuzzleloader: 2475

bluewater: 2368

scarlino: 1839

wyflyguy: 1817

flattenedgravy: 1628

NEILT: 1239

paul: 1196

bomber: 906

shiveley: 894

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 171

Members: 15697

Moderators: 12

Admins: 3

Forum Stats:

Groups: 1

Forums: 6

Topics: 2754

Newest Members:

jojob1, Pooldoc, laurie s, basshawg47, kwright11, Bush_On, BMahoney, Mikee105, ed1136, Agkimm

Moderators: colorado hunter: 2219, m gardner: 1236, yotebooter: 1076, millerk420: 621, LisaDeming: 24, Corey McNeil: 0, dankidder: 1, Dave Kimball: 0, Mark Mehler: 0, Corey McNeil_1: 0, Sam Staudt: 0, David Parris: 0

Administrators: editor: 1510, trophyhunter: 243, danjanovich: 272